Craig

Ivana Balazevic-Fisher ivana_bf at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 9 05:05:23 PST 2007

Dear all,

  I would add another question

  Why does the space get closed at all in the first place?  In opening the space - it seems to me that symptoms are being dealt with (and that's fine once the symptoms are already there), but what is the cause of those symptoms? Or what are the causes, most likely?

  For if human systems keep closing their own space, through practices that they employ, habits, customs, beliefs, behaviour etc, then it is good for the open space business as it ensures the continuity of the need to keep opening space... but would it not mean that when the causes are understood only then the shift can be towards living in the open space more or less continuously, which according to what happens in 3 day events would not be bad at all for anyone.

  Thank you

  My Best

  Ivana

Craig Gilliam <wcraiggilliam at hotmail.com> wrote:
  Question--Not exactly Open Space, but it is open space. If it is not an
appopriate question for the OS group, I understand.

When working with groups, I have always believed the focus is finding,
building on, adapting to the strengths. Thus I ask, What is working, etc?
What are you doing well? Then, I would go to What is not working? Where is
the sabbotage or unitended consequence?

My question is--What role does recognizing "what is not working" the
negative play in a group process, or do we spend too much time on it, when
it is the strengths that move us forward? Is the negative about our
anxiety, while the strengths are about responsible passion? Does the
question even need to be ask about "not working"?

Of course, I know that a group will go there as they need to or as their
anxiety drives them/us, whether I want it or not. But still, I am thinking
through the role of exploring what is not working, in helping a group find
what is working (or is there a role for it.)

Thanks!
Craig

Awards® http://movies.msn.com/movies/oscars2007/?icid=ncoscartagline2

Finding fabulous fares is fun.