"Open Space" vs opening space

Ralph Copleman rcopleman at comcast.net
Fri Feb 9 06:59:24 PST 2007

Christine and all,

Good point.  Care is always a good thing.  Around my house, for a while,
using the term ³open space² meant you had to be careful and precise.  To me
it was, of course, what all of us on this list do, and for my wife, Joyce,
it referred to the land parcels she was busy preserving and keeping out of
the hands of housing contractors.  Seems we were both in the open space
business.

Then we got a break.  Turns out folks who engage in the land preservation
business on a national scale (USA) began urging others to re-state ³open
space² as ³natural lands².  We¹re hoping the rest of the world will accept
this shift in terminology so we can maintain marital harmony!

Ralph

P.S. I have only had one opportunity to open space with a group whose
mission it is to preserve lands.  But I could not convince them to call the
meeting ³Open Space on Open Space².  Too bad.