Opening Space for Memories

Jennifer Hurley JLHurley at hfadesign.com
Wed Dec 12 10:40:30 PST 2007

Harrison,

Your description of the funeral is very similar to Quaker funerals.  Quakers
call them "Meeting for Worship with Attention to Death".  It's held just
like a regular Quaker meeting for worship: people come in and sit in
silence, and when someone feels "moved by the spirit" to speak, they stand
up, speak briefly, and then sit down again.  When the time is right, a
pre-designated person turns to the person next to them and shakes their hand
in order to end the meeting.  I've been to a few of these funerals, and they
are truly lovely, because you see all different facets of the person, told
by people who knew the person in many different ways.

Jennifer Hurley
HURLEY~FRANKS & ASSOCIATES
1429 Walnut St STE 601  |  Philadelphia, PA 19102
p: 215-988-9440  |  f: 215-988-9441  |  c: 267-971-4598
JLHurley at hfadesign.com  |  http://www.hfadesign.com