Fitting open space into a research conference

Dirk Riehle dirk at riehle.org
Sat Dec 1 20:00:39 PST 2007

Hello everyone,

I'm involved with a variety of research conferences and would like to
better understand how you can fit open space into a research conference
with a set time-grid and competing events. I searched the OSList
archives and the web but didn't find anything so I hope it is ok to ask
here. (And a pointer to a previous discussion would be a perfect and
much appreciated answer.)

The research conferences I'm involved in typically have a fixed time
grid with two morning slots of 90min (30min coffee break in between),
lunch, and two afternoon slots of 90min (also 30min coffee break in
between). We have had open space at two such conferences now, and in
both cases it worked, but open space remained in competition with "the
regular program" i.e. set talks. We tried to schedule the open space
opening and ending to be without competing event but that made them very
early (late) i.e. at 8am and at 5pm. The reason open space worked was
certainly the excellent facilitators we got, but also the enthusiasm of
folks at these about 100 people conferences.

I'm trying to bring this now to a much larger research conference, which
has > 1000 people attending. I only have control over "my track" but
that track has considerable influence. Open space is viewed as an
experiment as it has never been done before at this conference. I get
one day with no competing events (Monday) and then three days of the
main conference (Tue-Thu) with lots of competing events. On Monday we
can structure the day the way we want it, on Tue-Thu we have the
aforementioned 90min sessions with coffee breaks and lunch in between.
Typical problems I expect and wonder how to deal with them:

- plenty of folks who attend don't know much about open space
- many folks will show up in the middle of the day or just 30min late
not knowing how it works expecting to participate
- the competing events will make people come and go in a disruptive way
(but maybe that's just the law of the two feet :-)

This year (2008), we have two specific additional challenges

- we have no idea how many people will actually show up for the open
space part
- space is at a premium, we may have to share a large hall so I wonder
whether that's disruptive as well

Also, does it make sense to have open space afternoons (rather than full
days)? I'm thinking of reducing event competition by having open space
in the afternoon only on the three busy days Tuesday-Thursday.

The event will take place in Oct 2008 and we'll try to be smart about it
until then to take some of the guesswork out of the equation. I.e. early
engagement like inquiring about expected open space participation at
registration time.

Also, I'm a big fan of wikis, and intend to build up buzz and
pre-organization on a wiki leading up to the conference itself.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Dirk

PS: We will be looking for a facilitator. Obviously, this is a paid job,
though the research conference itself is not rich. Here a first blurp:

Open Space Facilitation Engagement Oct 2008 Nashville TN

For OOPSLA 2008, we are looking for an experienced open space
facilitator near Nashville, TN. Your engagement will be to facilitate
one full (and hopefully intense) day of open space + several half days.
Part of the job is explaining open space to those who don't know it
yet---which we expect to be many as this is the first attempt of having
open space at OOPSLA. OOPSLA is a >1000 people computer science
(research) conference, but we expect a significantly smaller number of
people to participate in the open space part only (current estimate is
between 100 and 300). Location is Nashville Convention Center, time and
date is October 2008, with initial and occasional consultations before
then to prepare for the meeting. For further questions, please contact
Dirk Riehle, dirk at riehle.org

--
Phone: + 1 (650) 215 3459
Web: http://www.riehle.org