AW: Circles and open space

Michael M Pannwitz mmpanne at boscop.org
Tue Aug 28 06:06:15 PDT 2007

Dear Cathrine,
Harrison said it all in response to your mail, as far as I am concerned.
In the spirit of alway looking for one more thing not to do:
Cut down on the time or skip completey to  "formulate the theme the way
the organization feels it needs to be stated". They themselves, given
some time and space and a good crossection of the system in the room at
a planning meeting, will discover it.
I have a praxis tested (50 times at least) approach to planning meetings
where just about everything is done by the planning group including
finding the theme.
Greetings from Berlin just about to take off for Stockholm to take part
in a workshop by Marvin Weisbord and Sandra Janoff titled "Don't just do
something, stand there!"...if that isn't saying it in a nutshell
regarding the role of facilitation in Open Space.
Their book with the same title is available via amazon.
Cheers
mmp

Catherine Pfaehler wrote:
> Ah, Wendy, your message strikes a string in my heart. I find myself having
> this huge resistance to other methods and the amount of left brain work it
> takes from the facilitator, e.g. in World Café, to find out the right
> questions, even if it’s together with the sponsor. What a responsibility!
> Plus a resistance to standing there with a stop watch and time the time for
> conversations for everybody… There is a knowing inside me that OST can do
> the job in all circumstances - if we take enough time to get ready, and to
> formulate the theme the way the organization feels it needs to be stated.
> Something inside me refuses to “go complicated”, knowing and living with OST
> for almost 20 years now. AND this can be really difficult when somebody
> isn’t ready, but wants to work with me because they have heard good things
> about an OS-event I have facilitated… Perhaps I need to learn to say no to
> such an organisation.
>

> These are the main questions I am pondering these days. Perhaps I will find
> a way to bring good examples on my website which can help deal with some of
> the fears.

Michael M Pannwitz, boscop eg
Draisweg 1, 12209 Berlin, Germany
++49-30-772 8000
www.boscop.org   www.michaelmpannwitz.de

Check out the Open Space World Map presently showing 454 resident Open
Space Workers in 72 countries (working in a total of 131 countries
worldwide)
www.openspaceworldmap.org