Circles and open space

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Tue Aug 28 05:15:55 PDT 2007

Catherine – I find myself in your place (space?). Over the years I have come
to know essentially all of the so called large group methods, and in most
cases I know personally their originators and consider them colleagues for
sure and, truthfully, friends. I deeply respect who they are and what they
have done because their efforts have contributed greatly to my own learning
and practice. Having said all of that I keep coming back to Open Space, and
at this point, never leave it. I am reminded of a comment from a Swedish
friend who said that he finally figured out what OST was – he called it the
WD-40 of group work. For those of you who may not have met WD-40, it is a
marvelous universal solvent and lubricant to be found in virtually all
mechanics’ tool chests. In any event he said that “Open Space is the WD-40
of group work. One shot will loosen up just about anything.”

Some years ago, Marv Weisbord (Future Search) and I found our selves engaged
in an extended conversation comparing FS and OST in terms of process and
results. I think it fair to say that we found that although there obvious
differences in the process, the end results were the same or certainly
comparable. At the end of the conversation I told Marv that I really loved
what he was doing, but it seemed to me that he was working much too hard.
But he loves what he does and so be it.

So for me it is always Open Space. You might suspect laziness as the basic
reason, but I am hopeful that it is more than that. Simply put 20 years in
Open Space have convinced me that it is the simplest, most efficient and
effective approach which utilizes time and energy (the group’s and mine) in
the most economical fashion. And if that had not have been my finding, OST
would have been long gone in terms of my own practice. After all how much
attachment can you have for something that appeared in the bottom of two
martinis? Unless, of course, it actually worked.

I suppose this may appear to be doctrinal and proprietary, and I really
can’t rule any of that out given my association with Open Space, however it
doesn’t feel that way. When a client approaches me I feel obligated to
provide the best I have – and my best is everything I have learned and been
regarding opening space. If they want, or feel they need something else, God
love them and I am just delighted to make the appropriate connections and
introductions. But my best is Open Space which always seems to open and
enrich their space most fully.

Harrison

  _____