The challenge of "luminaries"

Tree Fitzpatrick therese.fitzpatrick at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 01:02:20 PDT 2007

Sometimes, even in open space, I show up and say what I think and I think it
will be okay for me to say what I think because, hey, I am in open space and
whatever happens is the right thing, including what I think. . . .  but
sometimes in this list, I have felt attacked because I don't think the way
others think or speak the way others think I should speak.  I am rarely why
but I feel gun shy on this list, which kinda makes me sad because Open Space
is reverentially important to me.

So, with that proviso, I am going to risk censure in this list and say that
I am very interested in reading, Kaliya, about your adaptive meeting
methodologies, interested to learn that you think you are doing OS when you
do not 'do' OS.  I am interested in why it seems important to you to think
that your unconference approach is OS. Would it be so horrible to simply
think that you are doing something wonderful and different?  Maybe you are
onto new iterations of OS or maybe you have come up with a new method, a new
chapter for Peggy's next book!

I am also thinking about a few discussions I have been involved in, related
to mentoring younger consultants in OS.  Is it still OS if, er, it does not
look like OS?

In my view, OS is much more than a tool.  I suspect, Kaliya, that since you
are not using the tool as it was created (there is nothing wrong with not
using a circle. .. honest, I am only thinking aloud), since you are actually
doing something different. .. well, I venture to guess that there is
something about the energy of OS that has value for you.  Something has led
you to call it OS but then to tweak it into something else. So I invite you
to think about why it matters to you to feel some sense of connection to OS
when you have theater-style meetings?  Why do you think an unconference is
OS? Is an unconference a new stage of OS?  Perhaps another way to ask my
question is: why do you think you are doing OS if you aren't?  What is that
you like about the concept of open meetings with agendas set together?  And
must this be called OS?

Chris, I was relieved to read that you have never had anyone object to a
circle. I have  never  heard anyone ask to be put in rows of chairs when a
circle was offered.  The only time I have heard people discuss using rows of
chairs was when space was a factor, physical space, as in "can we fit enough
chairs in the room?"

I hope no one hears me criticizing doing things differently.  I am
interested to read everyone's thoughts.

On 8/21/07, Kaliya Hamlin <kaliya at mac.com> wrote:

> On Aug 21, 2007, at 8:54 AM, Brendan McKeague wrote:
>
> Hi Kaliya - your approach is really interesting - I had not thought of
> these dimensions before - especially the notions of being 'fanatical about
> the circle' or imposing my beliefs, or about working a community into a
> circle....much food for thought indeed.
>
> In my understanding of Open Space, which my experiences have confirmed,
> the initial journey of the leader is to open and walk that circle of
> connection -
>

> Yes - to these folks this is WAY "Granola".  Not only are you in a circle
> but you are walking around it....
> They don't come to 'deeply look into one another's eyes' and 'feel the
> unknown space' or 'embody reality' they came together to get stuff done.
>
> It is my job to help facilitate the container that they can get this
> done.
>
> I think that the circle is a fundamental part of Open Space. For me, to
> have a semi-circle would break the connection and focus.
>

> Then you will really love the theater style seating I use.
>
> The group can be tempted to look/focus outside the circle
>

> In theater style you can have the blank wall in front of them all - this
> is powerful statement itself - it says "you....in these seats you are not
> the audience you are the creators of this space".
>
> for their direction/solutions/expertise, rather than embodying the
> invitation to recognise the wisdom that is in the circle (whether be
> expressed through 'really smart amazing people' or others) ....
>

> They have plenty of Wisdom in what ever physical form - you don't need a
> circle to prove it to them.
>

> The circle is not there for 'its own sake' to prove equality - as I see
> it, it is a configuration for gathering that is deeply archetypal, with many
> layers of meaning and symbolism. It has the capacity to touch something
> within people that I agree may have been lost or driven out. In my own
> Celtic mythology for example, it is a symbol of community connection,
> hospitality and the nature of infinity (no beginning, no end).
>

> Again - they didn't choose to come to an event that I produce to groove on
> archetypical forms or get into circle symbolism.  They are there to get
> stuff done.
>
> I almost always close the day in a circle - by the end of a day in open
> space they 'get' that they are the group and that it makes sense to sit in
> this form.  They are warmed up to it.
>
> Enjoy living in the space.
>  =kaliya
>

> Kaliya - Identity Woman
> kaliya at mac.com
>
> http://www.unconference.net
> http://www.identitywoman.net
>
> skype:identitywoman
> Y!:earthwaters
> AIM:kaliya at mac.com
>
> 510 472-9069 (bay area)
> 415 425 1136 (on the road)

> oslist at listserv.boisestate.edu:

Love rays,
Tree Fitzpatrick

http://thecultureoflove.blogspot.com/

. . . the great and incalculable grace of love, which says, with Augustine,
"I want you to be," without being able to give any particular reason for
such supreme and unsurpassable affirmation.  -- Hannah Arendt

1335 Montecito Ave Apt. 35
Mountain View, California 94043
(650) 967-9260