The challenge of "luminaries"

Kaliya Hamlin kaliya at mac.com
Tue Aug 21 07:12:39 PDT 2007

On Aug 21, 2007, at 4:10 AM, Harrison Owen wrote:

> Kaliya – I might take small issue with you regarding the
> strangeness of the circle. In my own experience the circle is the
> most common and natural configuration (geometry) for human
> communication. We all do it most of the time, a fact that shows up
> repeatedly in our language and expressions, as in “Circle of
> friends”, Family Circle, “In the loop (circle),” “The Inner
> Circle,” “Coffee Circle,” “Knights of the Round Table.”  How
> strange it would be to have a “Semi-circle of friends?” Seems like
> something is missing, dropped out, disconnected. Then we have the
> old Gospel Hymn – “Let the Circle be unbroken.” But I guess that
> does make the circle weird and strange. J

Right.
so then all these open space people get 'fanatical' about the
"circle" and miss out on the fact it can be culturally way out of
bounds for some convening. Is the point of open space to help them
create a great day together - with an agenda that is their own making
OR to impose my belief that the circle is totally 'natural' and
'normal' and then make it difficult for them to access the process
because of the form.

Let me be clear - I work my communities into a circle for openings
over time.  There are already many cultural hurdles to doing open
space and adding in the circle at the very beginning for its own sake
to 'prove' a point of "equality" etc.  is not what I choose to do.

I get the circle is very natural. It is also something that has been
driven out of these cultures bringing it back in takes some time and
isn't for me the 'first' thing I do.

>  I am sure there are people who feel uncomfortable in a circle but
> I suspect they are the ones who want to pontificate as opposed to
> communicate.
Nope they are just not used to it.

> Doubtless there is a place for such people and their feelings – but
> probably not Open Space, which they may find terrifying, out of
> control, and other terrible things – not to mention New Age!
you don't "need" a circle to do open space.  you need really smart
amazing people who you support in creating their own agenda the day
it happens.

I choose to take an attitude of understanding and respect for
professional cultures that are not used to the form and adapt to them
- not imposing to much change to fast.

=Kaliya

kaliya at mac.com

http://www.unconference.net