AW: The challenge of "luminaries"

Catherine Pfaehler c.pfaehler at bluewin.ch
Sun Aug 19 23:13:49 PDT 2007

Peggy, great question!

I am in a similar situation preparing for an Open Space with cancer
patients. The preparation group has decided that a few health care
professionals & experts will be invited, but with the explicit task to be
there as witnesses only. They will be asked not to answer individual
questions, as this would re-create the situation they are all used to -
experts speak, patients listen. This Open Space is a patients forum with
reversed roles, it belongs entirely to the patients.

Individual pre-talks are most valuable to explain the situation to
luminaries beforehand (the experts in our case will even get a briefing in
the morning). Plus, for journalists especially, who might be used to
observing situations from the outside AND Open Space not being a spectator
sport, it could be difficult for some to really become part of the system
and experience its assets first hand - because this would mean they have to
step out of the spectator role, and this could be a role they might not all
be aware of functioning in during most of the time of their lives.

Also, some people who are used to the traditional conference format where
impulse speeches give input before anything else happens, have difficulties
to imagine how they could possibly translate one of their speeches into a
group workshop. Even if I always mention, in relation to the law of 2 feet
(and of self-responsibility, I add), that when they look at the wall and
find a topic missing, it might be exactly them who should add it to the
listed topics. This has happened to me with a journalist in the HIV+ Open
Space last year. The man then talked to me and deposited his ideas with me.
I later decided to bring his main question (a real taboo topic) into the
post-conference email-forum, and there it did trigger quite a big
discussion. (Of course he could / should have done this himself, but I
wasn't sure if he was at all part of this mail-forum, so I decided to bring
it in.)

Catherine

Catherine Pfaehler Senn

lic.oec.HSG