The challenge of "luminaries"

Deborah Hartmann deborah at hartmann.net
Sun Aug 19 07:08:01 PDT 2007

Sounds like perhaps the self-perceived "luminaries" ** need some extra
shepherding, hand-holding, etc. Perhaps we need to translate the
invitation to them by speaking with them directly. One of the things
that the facilitator does imo is help people put aside preconceptions -
perhaps this is harder for some, and it's valid to expend a little extra
energy to help them "over the hump". However, it's VERY important that
they still come of their own volition and contribute in the same pattern
as everyone else.

We had some success with a member of the Quebec government at RoCoCo. He
couldn't attend the Opening, though we tried to get him there. So,
instead, when he arrived the 2nd day, he was quietly given a personal
tour of the space, while the conference was in progress. He was SO
impressed... but I think it was probably particularly helpful that a
*facilitator* (i.e. someone sensitive to people's needs and perceptions)
walked him around, inviting him to consider what was going on, helping
frame it for him. Esther, I think you were involved with this, am I
right? Could you offer some reflections on this?

** there are usually also luminaries who understand that they are "just
folks" and have no trouble with Open Space ime (in my experience). They
eat it up. At Agile2007 last week I floated the idea of a small 2-day
"coaches' open space" preceding the actual conference in 2008. Everyone
lit up when I mentioned it - particularly the leaders of the community!
One "luminary" said "if you were running that across the street right
now, I'd be over there, not over here". I asked "what's across the
street?" he replied "I have no idea, but if you were running open space
over there, I'd be there!" lol

By the way: this year the Open Space at the Agile conference had some
creative changes - and was quite successful in the eyes of many, though
I think we agree it could be even more so. I think it contributed a very
special energy to the conference - thanks to Esther Derby and her
collaborators.

deb

--

Deborah Hartmann