The challenge of "luminaries"

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Sun Aug 19 05:12:25 PDT 2007

Luminary! Love the word. Suggests light in abundance. Elimination of
shadows. Cessation of uncertainty. Enlightenment for sure! How strange that
such people can be real party poopers!! I can certainly understand the
syndrome. Always treated like pampered princes, they suddenly join the
people. Shocking!!! And yet in my own experience, the true "Luminaries" are
those who share their light without prejudice or precondition - they are
just there, fully present to the situation.

I suppose you could look a being in Open Space as a sort of separation of
the sheep from the goats - those who require the spot light from those who
are the light. That always ends up being a useful determination, I think.

When it comes to working with "Luminaries" (false or true) in Open Space, I
have never found it necessary to do anything different from what I would
ordinarily do, such as: 1) Have a good heart to heart conversation with the
sponsors before the gathering. Especially about the guest list and the
invitation. Make it very clear that this is an event for those who care to
come which automatically makes them the right people - whose "rightness" is
determined by their caring and not their "star power." If they want star
power, have a star show - fill the theatre seats with folks, turn out the
lights (keep them in the dark :-)) - and turn on the stars. I guess there is
a place for something like that, but it's not open space. 2) Help people to
understand that the motive power is passion and responsibility - which
amongst other things makes it very clear that the quality of the experience
(both learning and contribution) is totally in the hands of each
participant. And if there is a problem - The Law of Two Feet will cut in.

Seems to work every time.

Harrison

  _____