The challenge of "luminaries"

Michael M Pannwitz mmpanne at boscop.org
Sat Aug 18 23:34:27 PDT 2007

Dear Peggy,
seems to me this is a good question for the sponsor (who is that in this
case?) and the Planning Group. If the sponsor manages to involve a
cross-section of all who are expected at the event (including the
"luminaries")to the Planning Meeting, these questions can be addressed
there.
Of course, the invitation sent out by the sponsor can also point out
what you mentioned at the end of your mail, to EVERYBODY invited, that
is:listing the various possibilities for offering issues.
Have a great Sunday
greetings from Berlin
mmp

Peggy Holman wrote:
> Along with Stephen Silha, I just completed an Open Space with 150
> journalists.  Actually, it was a mix of mainstream journalists, media
> educators and students, and citizen journalists.  It is the 5th
> gathering of the "system of journalism" that Stephen and I have done
> in the last 2 years.  It was also the largest.  Along with the size,
> it brought a new twist to our journalism work.
>
> We have developed a positive reputation and as a result, attracted a
> handful of people considered expert in the changing landscape of
> journalism.  These "luminaries" are used to being on stage, the ones
> others turn to as the experts.  And, while ego may be a factor for
> some of them, they truly do bring particularly valuable insights.
>
> Following the conference, we head from one of them, who was quite
> turned off by the whole experience. Here's an excerpt:
>> Instead I was at a New Age, "open circle" conference where the
>> questions were as flat and meaningless as possible so no one would
>> feel excluded.
>
> Just so we don't dwell on this individual, a variation of this
> luminary situation occurred with the Nexus for Change.  In that
> examploe, I spoke with one of the "luminaries" who had originally
> planned on attending.  She cancelled at the last moment because she
> just didn't see a role for herself.  She described herself as a high
> introvert and without a role, felt she would not be comfortable
> there.
>
> So, here's my question:  these folks (even the ones with egos) have
> gifts to offer.  What experiences have you had in creating conditions
> where luminaries/elders/experts actually see a role for themselves
> and make a productive contribution to an Open Space?
>
> (In retrospect, my current thought is to talk to them beforehand and
> encourage them to post a session on a question they wish to explore
> or, if they don't feel the others present are sophisticated enough
> for their question (whether that is actually the case is an entirely
> different question), at least post a session on a subject they
> believe others would be interested in learning about from them.)
>
> thoughts?
>
> curiously, Peggy
>
> ________________________________ Peggy Holman The Open Circle Company
>  15347 SE 49th Place Bellevue, WA  98006 (425) 746-6274
>
> www.opencirclecompany.com
>

> For the new edition of The Change Handbook, go to:
> www.bkconnection.com/ChangeHandbook
>
> "An angel told me that the only way to step into the fire and not get
> burnt, is to become the fire". -- Drew Dellinger

> oslist at listserv.boisestate.edu:

> http://www.openspaceworld.org/oslist--

Michael M Pannwitz, boscop eg
Draisweg 1, 12209 Berlin, Germany
++49-30-772 8000
www.boscop.org   www.michaelmpannwitz.de

Check out the Open Space World Map presently showing 457 resident Open
Space Workers in 72 countries (working in a total of 131 countries
worldwide)
www.openspaceworldmap.org