The challenge of "luminaries"

Peggy Holman peggy at opencirclecompany.com
Sat Aug 18 17:24:40 PDT 2007

Along with Stephen Silha, I just completed an Open Space with 150 journalists.  Actually, it was a mix of mainstream journalists, media educators and students, and citizen journalists.  It is the 5th gathering of the "system of journalism" that Stephen and I have done in the last 2 years.  It was also the largest.  Along with the size, it brought a new twist to our journalism work.

We have developed a positive reputation and as a result, attracted a handful of people considered expert in the changing landscape of journalism.  These "luminaries" are used to being on stage, the ones others turn to as the experts.  And, while ego may be a factor for some of them, they truly do bring particularly valuable insights.

Following the conference, we head from one of them, who was quite turned off by the whole experience. Here's an excerpt:
> Instead I was at a New Age, "open circle" conference where
> the questions were as flat and meaningless as possible so no one would feel
> excluded.

Just so we don't dwell on this individual, a variation of this luminary situation occurred with the Nexus for Change.  In that examploe, I spoke with one of the "luminaries" who had originally planned on attending.  She cancelled at the last moment because she just didn't see a role for herself.  She described herself as a high introvert and without a role, felt she would not be comfortable there.

So, here's my question:  these folks (even the ones with egos) have gifts to offer.  What experiences have you had in creating conditions where luminaries/elders/experts actually see a role for themselves and make a productive contribution to an Open Space?

(In retrospect, my current thought is to talk to them beforehand and encourage them to post a session on a question they wish to explore or, if they don't feel the others present are sophisticated enough for their question (whether that is actually the case is an entirely different question), at least post a session on a subject they believe others would be interested in learning about from them.)

thoughts?

curiously,
Peggy

________________________________
Peggy Holman
The Open Circle Company
15347 SE 49th Place
Bellevue, WA  98006
(425) 746-6274

www.opencirclecompany.com

For the new edition of The Change Handbook, go to:
www.bkconnection.com/ChangeHandbook

"An angel told me that the only way to step into the fire and not get burnt, is to become
the fire".
  -- Drew Dellinger