Facilitator must be part of the conversations

douglas germann 76066.515 at compuserve.com
Wed Aug 8 12:12:14 PDT 2007

Alan--

Thanks for this twist on the subject, Alan! Open Space as Opera as Open
Space!

I like this phrase, changed as you suggest:

        "That's what's so liberating about open space, because nobody
        can do it alone. The soprano is dependent on the oboe player,
        who is dependent on the person whose finger is on the switch on
        the light board, who is dependent on the person who raised the
        curtain, who is dependent on the person who tore the ticket, who
        is dependent on the person who served you your drink at
        intermission."

The light I see that sheds on this conversation is that the host, too,
is critical to the space that is opened. That gives a new understanding
to Harrison's "All it takes is someone who has a good head and a good
heart"--that is, it does take those, and engaged, too.

I also like this part:

        "A whole galaxy is in place around these four actions. You
        thought you were just writing a letter to someone, but in fact,
        there was a whole symphony orchestra playing. In fact there was
        a chorus singing. In fact, it's like a bigger deal. open space
        constantly gives you that perspective shift; that glimpse of
        spiritual activity inside of the simplest and quietest moments."

You thought you were just solving a community problem or a business
problem, but in fact, there was a whole symphony....

And then there is this: "Well ... human beings need permission"--I guess
I was looking for some sort of permission to, or perhaps understanding
of what would happen if I, put myself into my community in conversation.

Alan, I must apologize to you for taking so long to reply to your
earlier post--I had gotten the whole interview and wanted to savor it in
relation to this conversation.

Thanks, Alan!

				:- Doug.