Facilitator must be part of the conversations

Alan Stewart alanmstewart at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 22:01:40 PDT 2007

Dear Doug and All

You certainly have triggered lively and constructive conversation from your initiating and pursuing this thread.

I posted a contribution to it (below), rather hurriedly, without properly explaining what was underlying my seemingly whimsical thinking.

Briefly, when I raised invoked the notion of how an opera 'emerges' what I neglected to add

was: "See what happens when you transpose 'open space' for 'opera'each time you see this in the quote ."

I wonder what you notice when you do so?

I will likely develop ideas on this under a new thread such as 'Opening space as artistry', some

time. (I am off tonight to London, UK, to visit with family members there and with my friend

Romy Shovelton just before she leaves the big city to live in Wales).

For this I could draw on a piece I wrote some time ago - as yet unpublished - on 'The leader as conversational artist.'

And invoke images of the swirl of dance, music, symphony, orchestration .

In doing so suggest that, while there may be artistic dimensions to 'what is going on' when a person opens and holds space which may be beyond our conscious awareness and knowing - as Lisa, Mark and others refer to - these may be taken into account through the manner of being of people who dwell in open space.

Does this have a bearing on 'The facilitator must be part of the conversations'? :-)

Looking forward

Go well

Alan

The music that can deepest reach

And cure all ill, is cordial speech.  R W Emerson

... A fresh, coherent view emerges.  Participants become the "music" as it is being created. and it is heard

so deeply that it is not heard at all. Cited by Keith McCandless.