Facilitator must be part of the conversations

douglas germann 76066.515 at compuserve.com
Sun Aug 5 16:58:54 PDT 2007

Elwin as Chris and yourself--

Thank you for giving more details to help me understand. :)

What I am seeing in replies of various people is that they are coming
from what they have experienced in their lives. Of course, where else
would they approach from? From imagination, is one direction....

Let me explain. Reading between the lines of your response, Elwin/Chris,
you seem to do OS for existing organizations who are asking you, as the
process expert, to come in and make it easier ("facilitate") for them to
come to terms with some issue or opportunity confronting them. Is this
anywhere near accurate?

For a person in that role, it is on the end of the scale which would
read, "Do not interject your opinion; this is *their* work."

Now imagine a different kind of setting: You are in your island
community and having a meeting of home-school parents and children about
making home schooling more effective. In that setting, you would be more
on the end of the scale which reads, "You have something to contribute;
be careful you do not step on other people's contributions (a good host
like you is always careful about this), but be sure to offer yours."

In short, it makes a difference what your setting is.

What I have in mind is something nearer to the home-school end of the
continuum: Gatherings of people who are trying to make my community work
for all. Here I have much to contribute, and much more to learn, and
meet and be met ("All real life is meeting." M Buber). So it is a design
question for me. This is life: we *have* to make it up as we go along.

			:- Doug.