Open Space at Burning Man - and circles

Michael M Pannwitz mmpanne at boscop.org
Fri Aug 24 04:51:45 PDT 2007

Dear Gwen,
since this list does not accept attachments, could you point me to a
website with the description/invitation you mention at the bottom of
your note.
Cities, villages, places in circles (concentric circles) used to be the
standard design in days when such structures selforganized...such as the
center of many cities in these parts (there was a wall, pretty much a
circle, with a need for a second and even a third when the place grew,
bingo, concentric circles...harder to get around in then in the grids
that planners thought I can get more easily around in and gave me places
such as Los Angeles or Mannheim where the grid-coordinates are numbers
and letters, so people live at addresses such as "24 A/5"
take a look at
> http://maps.google.de/maps?oi=eu_map&q=Mannheim&hl=de
and zoom in).
Some of the cooperative villages in the US (southeast Missouri) of
"modern" times are layed out in a circle...some modern neighborhoods in
Berlin played with that...provides a different quality of neighborhood
and quiet (peace)...so Black Rock City seems a natural for open space.
Greetings from Berlin
mmp

Gwen Daniels wrote:
> Hello Open Space People!
>
> I am very excited to announce this OS - and to invite anyone who is
> going to this year's Burning Man event to come talk about arts and
> sustainability.  This will be my first time facilitating - I have
> read the Open Space book, and met with a few people about it.
>
> What is particularly exciting about pairing up OST with Black Rock
> City (the name of the Burning Man Location) is that they are based on
> essentially the same principles of inclusion, participation,
> independence, natural human tendency, results, etc. The city itself
> is designed in concentric circles rather than a grid.  I am finding
> some of the similarities quite intriguing!
>
> This year's theme, The Greenman, is a great fit with the missions of
> the Level Green Institute and Arts at the Heart of a Sustainable
> World. (organizations I am working with)  I am also a volunteer
> coordinator for the Black Rock Census at the event this year, and
> they have graciously invited me to do the OS at their headquarters.
> Below is the event description/invitation.  Please spread the word of
> this to anyone you know will be heading out to the playa this
> weekend.  Thanks to all.  Hooray for OST!
>
> *********************************************************************************************
>

> OPEN SPACE TEA PARTY: *Integrating the Arts across the Sustainability
> Movement *
>

> Wednesday    (8/29)      2-6pm *Media Mecca: * *Confidentiality Room*
>  *center camp*
>

> People worldwide are now using a new problem solving and discussion
> format called Open Space Technology (OST) that results in action
> steps for a particular issue.

Michael M Pannwitz, boscop eg
Draisweg 1, 12209 Berlin, Germany
++49-30-772 8000
www.boscop.org   www.michaelmpannwitz.de

Check out the Open Space World Map presently showing 457 resident Open
Space Workers in 72 countries (working in a total of 131 countries
worldwide)
www.openspaceworldmap.org