Open Space, Circles, and Presence

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Wed Aug 22 06:04:24 PDT 2007

As I have listened to this conversation (a very rich one!) random thoughts
came to mind - which may actually fit together? The first one went something
like this. We speak, understandably, about "doing an Open Space" - but I
suspect that may box us into a corner we need not be stuck in. "Doing and
Open Space" implies that we are following a certain set of prescribed
procedures, after all Open Space Technology is a method. This is true, but
it may also hide a larger truth, I think. We don't do an Open Space - we are
an open space in which we and our fellows find meaning and purpose, or not.
For some of us that space may be very constricted, and those lives tend to
look pretty much the same way - narrow and locked into set patterns and
expectations, which may even become comfortable, like old shoes. Others seem
to occupy a much more commodious space in which change and possibility are
constant companions and experiencing that novelty is a real high. All of us
have the potential to expand our space, or maybe more accurately, to
recognize and acknowledge the larger possibilities which could be ours. I
think what happens in an Open Space event is that we are invited to consider
those possibilities and make them our own, if we so choose. I once wrote a
book, "Expanding our Now" (Berrett-Koehler) which attempted to make
precisely this point. So we might more fruitfully understand that all of
life is open space and an Open Space gathering is simply a moment in
time/space when we are encouraged to go exploring. So it is not so much
about "Doing an Open Space" as about being fully and intentionally present
in the infinity of life space available - at least so far as we are able.
Corollary to this would be that the Open Space event is not something
strange, unique and different - it is just life. All of life is open space.
We must choose whether that space is expansive or constricted for us.

Then I thought of a song I have always enjoyed, "All of Life's a Circle,"
sung by a favorite whose name has disappeared in a senior moment. You might
think of this as variations on a theme. It is true that we may square the
circle, bisect the circle (semi-circle), even go around in circles - those
are choices which may be quite appropriate under certain circumstances. But
that does not change the fundamental reality that all of life is a circle. A
circle of friends, a circle of peers and colleagues, a circle of power and
influence, a circle of life and death. We may attempt to reduce life to
straight lines ("A career path"), sharp angles and squared intersections
(the standard PERT chart and project management schema) or even get life in
a box, a nice, neat rectilinear box. But at the end of the day, and indeed
on every day, life will go its own way as a circle, the transformation of
circles, the inter-connection and overlapping of circles, all contained in a
larger circle.

Presence is our way of being in the great circle(s) of life. This may be a
grudging presence, a distracted presence, a frantic presence, or something
approaching a full, intentional, appreciative presence in which the infinite
possibilities (good and bad) of life are acknowledged and engaged. To a
certain extent the nature of our presence is a matter of choice, but no
matter the choices made or the constraints encountered there is always the
possibility of an expanded presence in the great open circle of life. I
think.

And Open Space Technology? For me every Open Space gathering becomes an
opportunity to practice our presence, should we choose to do so. On the
surface it will appear that important issues are raised, problems solved,
plans made, organization grown, products designed. All important, and for
most participants probably sufficient to meet expectations, or not. But
beneath (above?) it all I experience a practice of presence - becoming more
fully engaged with our selves, our fellows, and our world. Just living more
intentionally in the great open circle of life. Or something.

Harrison