A Relational View of the Dynamics in Emergent Systems

Peggy Holman peggy at opencirclecompany.com
Sun Aug 19 10:12:15 PDT 2007

During a recent gathering, I found myself looking at the dynamics of emergence from an entirely new angle: the roles that are present.

Harrison provided us a great gift when he named the four principles and law of being in Open Space.  I wonder if it might be useful to know something about the roles that seem to be present when emergence happens.

Below is my sense of those roles.  Some are no doubt more critical than others; the list hasn't yet benefitted from the "one less thing to do" treatment.  I have missed some that are critical?  Which are truly vital and which are just interesting?

I'd love to know your thoughts.

appreciatively,
Peggy

***********************

A Relational View of the Dynamics in Emergent Systems

When emergence in social systems occurs, it results from a variety of roles.  Should any of them be missing, the chance of coherence converging into novelty - of finding the simplicity on the other side of complexity - is unlikely.

The roles may be played by one or a variety of people.  Sometimes they are even aspects of the environment.  The ones we already know:

Attractor - Someone(s) who ask a calling question, inviting the system to come present.  We typically call this person the sponsor.

Guide - Someone(s) provide hospitable space for the work.  Sometimes this includes a process that channels energy, other times, it is simply ensuring the gentle structures for a nutrient environment are present.  In group process work, this is the person identified as the facilitator.

The People of the System - these are the people who bring the varied voices of the system.  The broader the definition of the system, the more variety in the room.

Disturber - This is something from outside the system (a person on act of nature) that interrupts existing assumptions or patterns.  It can also be someone/something from inside the system that is differentiating itself in a way that interrupts the given assumptions and patterns.

Bridge/translator - someone who can provide a sufficient hook for others in the system to connect with the disturbance/disturber.  Without this role, rather than creative use of the disturbance, it will likely be resisted or rejected by the system's immune system.  These folks are active in the conversation, helping the rest of the group connect with what the disturber is attempting to express.

Edge worker - a easy to overlook and critical role!  Edge workers are generally butterflies who hang at the margins.  When someone uses their two feet to move because they're disturbed, an edge worker listens, sees, and honors that participant.  Edge workers are gifted at staying present to what is happening for the other person, artfully reflecting back what they experience and in so doing, support that participant to discover the nugget hidden in their dissonance.

Organizer - once new insights start to emerge, someone(s) grasps the threads and starts to weave them into a new story, one from which action flows.

"Artists" bringing multiple modes of interaction - bringing different forms of expression - words, music, art, movement - matters.  It helps move beyond stuck places, engaging people on different channels, which seems to amplify the effectiveness of the interactions.

________________________________
Peggy Holman
The Open Circle Company
15347 SE 49th Place
Bellevue, WA  98006
(425) 746-6274

www.opencirclecompany.com

For the new edition of The Change Handbook, go to:
www.bkconnection.com/ChangeHandbook

"An angel told me that the only way to step into the fire and not get burnt, is to become
the fire".
  -- Drew Dellinger