whatever happens...

Elwin and Joan elwinandjoan at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 23 19:38:52 PDT 2007

--- John Engle <john at johnengle.net> wrote:
> I know that some have been through this hundreds of times but I'm
> wanting to get the most recent reflections on the principle:
>
> Whatever happens is the only thing that could've.

John et al,

My take on this Principle is, and always has been, drawn from what I
believe Harrison formulated at the outset.  The way I have presented
the Principle so many times in more than 25 countries (nearly all non
English speaking) is to explain it with a short story to wit:

‘“We are conditioned to believe that in the events of every day life
and work we, as “Boss” or Convener or Leader etc., will get the
result(s) or outcome(s) that we know to be necessary and correct
during “this” meeting. In short, we will CONTROL!! We believe that we
will get what we want because we are in control.

If that is true, then explain to me why no CEO can prevent emailed
information from escaping the confines of the corporation, or the
fact that the supposed strongest/smartest government could not
prevent 9/11, or that the invasion of Iraq did not result in an
instantaneous American style democracy.

The fact is, my friends, the actual outcomes are produced through the
collective interactions of those who passionately care about the
issue!  That says to me “what happens is the only ting that can
happen!”

If that Principle is understood and respected during our time
together the results will speak for themselves. They will not speak
for the “boss”, Convener, or self appointed Leader.”’

At least that is what I present in my Open Space facilitation and as
we all know, “it always works!”

All the best from Baltimore,

Elwin Guild
Future Development International