What to do with 1.5 to 2 hours

Chris Corrigan chris at chriscorrigan.com
Mon Apr 23 14:55:24 PDT 2007

Nice Larry....really sweet.  I love the way you bring the energy and the
generative nature of the conversation to another level with this. Thanks for
the inspiration.

Chris

On 4/19/07, Larry Peterson <larry at spiritedorg.com> wrote:

>  Peggy you asked:
>

> I'm intrigued with this approach as a very creative way of handling the
> desire that often exists to hear what happened in the room.
>

> Would you say more about this - what sparked the idea, how many were in
> the fishbowl (half hour isn't a lot of time and with 200 people, I'm
> imagining there were a fair number of sessions), what question did you use
> to launch the fishbowl?
>

> I'll describe the fishbowl process I used in a bit more detail.  As
> suggested, this event was more "guided" than OST and this was also true of
> the fishbowl.  It was not the Open Space Fishbowl that I described earlier
> based on Andrew's and my experience in Australia.  The original design
> included the fishbowl as one option but I thought it unlikely.  But given
> there were only 11 topic groups because some folks had left after lunch and
> maybe 100 – 125 were left in the room.  Given the nature of the meeting
> (information) and health care professionals in Ontario (overwhelmed) this
> was not a surprise.  It did make it possible to quickly put 12 chairs on
> risers (not in the centre of the room as I would preferred).  I did create
> an empty chair, but it was soon filled.  Not at all ideal in terms of set
> up.
>

> I was in the fishbowl to initiate, model and guide some aspects of the
> conversation – it was not completely self-organized.  The initial question
> was, "What did you learn about telemedicine in your topic group discussion?"
> The first person to start speaking was an academic, who initially
> "presented" to the room rather than engage others in the circle. His body
> language was to orient toward the "audience".   After he spoke I then
> asked if any others had discussions that related to the ideas just
> presented.  That immediately got them telling about a point or idea from
> their topic group and soon others picked up and a conversation was
> happening.  The fishbowl participants looked at me or each other and not
> the larger group and I modeled this with my body language.  My back was to
> the larger group.  I said very little, occasionally asked about a
> connection between ideas to keep the conversation aspect going.  New ideas
> beyond just reporting emerged.  The larger group (according to my
> colleague Sharon King) was very much engaged because it was not the usual
> "report back".  The CEO of the sponsor organization said that when I
> announced what was coming he and his VP exchanged looks.  However, he was
> surprised at what he learned when the report led to some synthesis and new
> higher level questions.  Yes all of this happened in about a half-hour and
> when it was over, it was over.
>

> Hope this helps.
>

> Larry
>

> Larry Peterson
>
> Associates in Transformation
>
> Toronto, ON, Canada
>
> 416.653.4829
>

> larry at spiritedorg.com

> [...]

CHRIS CORRIGAN
Facilitation - Training
Open Space Technology

Site: http://www.chriscorrigan.com

Principal, Harvest Moon Consultants, Ltd.
http://www.harvestmoonconsultants.com