Arts at the Heart

Jean-Francois Gouin jfgouin at gmail.com
Sat Apr 7 04:35:47 PDT 2007

Hello Gwen,

Fabulous idea as a person who is both an artist (poet and musician) and a
Sustainability professional, I have been thinking a lot about this and have
experimented around the subject. My writing and my performing are deeply
related to my interest for Sustainability and it's philosophical
implications. Namely the relation between humans and nature and the
importance of spirituality and intuition in dealing with complexity. I find
that art is a powerful medium to express ideas that can only be incompletely
represented through a rational discourse. It allows to reach people at a
deeper more fondamental level. There, an intimate conviction can be stirred,
reach consciousness and result into action. At the same time this reflection
brings us to the core of what is art and what is its social role. This
encompasses its utilitarian or political functions as well as a way to reach
deeper levels of consciousness and maybe even connect to a global
consciousness.

Anyhow, I do not recall when the burningman festival will occur and it may
be difficult for me to get to it (I am living in France right now and I
believe it takes place in Texas right?). However, I would be happy to
participate in your project. For instance I still have some connections in
Toronto which may be of use.

All the best,

Jean-François
--