Poetry Contest 2007 - May 1 due-date Reminder to all you poets

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Fri Apr 27 10:54:43 PDT 2007

Here is a reminder that the Spring 2007 OSLIST Poetry Contest is still open.
Below is an excerpt from my previous email.  Do know that the due-date of
any of your poetic contributions for the contest May 1 at midnight (Pacific
Standard / West Coast USA Time) - and that you can send your poems to me
either directly at lisaheft at openingspace.net or post them to the OSLIST (do
let us know in the title if it is for the Poetry Contest - thanks!) ---Lisa

__

Hello, dear colleagues -

A little history, from brother Chris Corrigan:

"For all those who might be curious, the OSLIST Biannual Restricted Form
Poetry Contest started in the spring of 2000 when I issued the challenge to
the list.  Ralph Copleman actually began the whole thing with a contest in
the fall of 1999 (which I won) and so he is the "Poetry King" for all time.
I just claimed the "Poet Laureate" title in an effort to have some fun.  It
was something of a one martini idea, and I was out of gin at the time..."

As is our tradition, every 6 months or so we select our next Poet Laureate
through this contest, and then they float up and hold space for poetry for
about 6 months.  They invite poetry, and / or write poetry, and / or just
b-r-e-a-t-h-e  -- and hold    s p a c e     for     poetry     on our fair
list.

So: now, it is time.

You, dear reader, may well be the one.and this may well be the time.to
create a poem and be prepared to be surprised for the possibility of being
chosen as our next Poet Laureate.

In some of our countries, it is the season of spring.  New growth, new life,
gentle sunshine warming the earth.

In our other countries, it is the season of fall.  Crisp, clean air turning
colder, brisk winds, leaves turning color and falling to the earth.

In some of our other countries, it is very hot.  Heat waves radiating
upwards from the earth.

For this particular poetry contest, I invite you to write a poem that...

relates to O p e n   S p a c e in some way, and.

.includes, reflects upon, honors or invites. images of nature and / or the
earth.

A few more notes:

If you write your poem in your own language which may not be English, please
do add a translation in English.

You have until May 1 at midnight (Pacific Standard / West Coast USA Time) to
send your poems to me either on or off the list (my direct email:
lisaheft at openingspace.net)

After that date I will publish for you all the text of every poem sent to me
for the contest.  The poems will be judged by a vote of everyone on the
OSLIST who wishes to vote.  The author of the poem that attracts the
majority of votes will become our next Poet Laureate, which includes the
honor of holding space for Open Space poetry for our list for the next 6
months.

I very much look forward to this delicious experience of what is about to
come.

Lisa

L i s a   H e f t

Consultant, Facilitator, Educator