SV: opening space with very small groups

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Wed Sep 20 16:29:57 PDT 2006

Thomas--

I had a similar experience once.   On the second morning of a two-day OS, the
"dead moose" which had been under the table during the first day was
acknowledged by one of the participants, who announced in Morning News that instead of
the session which he had originally posted, he would be convening a session
on that topic in the first time slot.

Someone remarked, "I expect all of us will want to be in that session."
However, a board member who was attending the meeting announced, "I will be
convening the session I announced yesterday, up on the mezzanine."   Three or four
people followed him to the mezzanine, and the remainder stayed in the central
room for what proved to be an important and productive conversation.

I was grateful to the staff member who skillfully facilitated that difficult
discussion, and to the board member who gently reminded the group that they
still had a choice about what they wanted to do!   That hour and a half totally
changed the climate of the meeting, and the remaining sessions had high energy
levels and much creative work.

Always nice to be reminded that my job is to hold the space, not to do the
work of the group.

Joelle