Next Generation

Diane Brandon diane at keysregion.org
Thu Sep 14 05:28:28 PDT 2006

Thanks, Blake -- that was just the inspiration I needed this morning!
I love seeing your face now, when reading your email, after the
OSonOS by the Sea.

I'm looking forward to seeing the notes and photos, to catch up on
what I missed on the second day. The regional Economic Summit in
Portsmouth NH on 9/12 (my reason for missing day two of the OS) was
excellent, with a lot of energy in the room, and an OS to follow it
up would be perfect. I'll have to talk to the organizers about that
idea... I learned from Sue Inches that the primary organizer has
experienced OS in the past.

The good energy came from the full house (200 or so people) at the
summit, the diversity and energy of those there, and the unity of
direction among two governors (NH & ME), one past gov (ME's Angus
King), two university (UNH & USM) forecasting economists, and one big
picture guy (Neil Pierce of www.newenglandfutures.org) --- yes, 6 men
-- all saying essentially the same things about what our region
needs, though each had diverse information and references. It was the
best use of expertise and data that I've seen in a long while.

The people in the room (Sheraton in Portsmouth) got an hour or so to
go into small groups and make comments, give suggestions. The group I
was in was very sparky, and the lunch table conversations right after
the break-out groups were very in flow -- I think everyone was
talking and full of ideas about "what next."

So, it was a "traditional" sort of gathering, but a great start for a
process. This region (greater Portsmouth area, three counties) has
used Future Searrch, World Cafes, Study Circles -- maybe it's time
for OS?  :)

Diane

Diane Brandon, M.Ed., Coordinator
KEYS Coalition (CWC)