OS for People living with Aids

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Sun Sep 10 20:30:56 PDT 2006

Hi, Fabulous Ms. Catherine --

You wrote:
>   Have any of you worked with People living with AIDS and can give me
> advice on things that might be of importance and that we might not think
> of automatically?

I just saw Harrison and he let me know about your question (and you *know*
how much I would like to be at this upcoming Open Space with you...and you
also know I will be there in spirit...).

I am thinking that others in our community here on OSLIST can add some
thoughts - others who have worked with people who sometimes have health
issues, sometimes feel great, sometimes feel not-so-good.  The basics of
the method of course are the same as always.  And the things I mention
below are things I do for every group.  However...

You might keep in mind that a lot of people in your room may be on
medications that may make them feel hot, or tired, or uncomfortable.  I do
this in any Open Space, because there is always so much talking and
movement, but even more than other times: be sure to have a lot of water
available in the room to help people stay hydrated.  I always tell the
host to order twice as much water as they would normally do for a meeting,
as people will drink more.

When I talk about bumblebees and butterflies often I say that it is really
about taking good care of yourself (and doing your best work because you
are taking good care of yourself) - so when you use the Law of Two Feet
for example it could be because you realize you are neither learning nor
contributing -- it could also be because you need something to eat in
order to stay present and focused, you need to take your medication,
whatever: take good care of yourself.

I also recommend that the host offers healthy foods with choices (because
some people can and cannot eat certain things - in any situations, but
particularly while on some medications).

See?  I looked at this little list and I see in it the things that are
universal for any group I convene -- it is not specific to people with HIV
and AIDS.  In every single circle we convene, there are people sitting
with us who are not feeling well, or are on medication, who are having a
struggle, who are brave, who are fighting a battle, who are trusting in
the unknown, or resisting some change, or embracing what is, or who are
living each moment with great presence...we never know.  There are so many
stories in each person in any circle.  So my idea (in Open Space and in
life) is to take good care of everyone (and myself, and each other), at
all times.

Another thought: There is a three-pronged approach to treatment for
HIV/AIDS: 1) anti-viral [drug combinations that make it hard for the virus
to connect to our healthy cells, hard to insert its viral code into the
healthy cell, and hard to make copies of itself once it has invaded a
healthy cell]; 2) anti-opportunistic infections [medications that are
given to someone when her/his t-cells are low -- to lessen the effects of
the illnesses that can harm someone with a damaged immune system]; and 3)
immune enhancement -- things [herbs, drugs, excercise, nutrition,
mind-body-spirit work, acupuncture, body work and so on] that help your
body do its very best in staying healthy, staying resilient and flexible,
handling illness, and taking good care of itself.

Here's the parallel I see: Open Space is like HIV treatment for the body /
organism / organization / community: using Open Space regularly 1) makes
it hard for toxic things to affect our emotional, physical, organizational
and community wellness; 2) lessens the effect of challenging external or
internal situations that can negatively affect our organization /
community; and 3) helps our body / organization / community stay flexible,
resilient, adaptable and doing its very best in taking good care of
itself.

I look forward to hearing what others may add as far as tips for working
with people with life-challenging health issues.  You will do such a
beautiful job, Catherine -- because you will simply open the space and
then ... breathe.

Do let us all know how it goes,

Lisa

lisaheft at openingspace.net