[Fwd: Re: an interesting meeting in Berlin]

Michael M Pannwitz mmpanne at boscop.de
Wed Sep 6 02:16:47 PDT 2006

Yesterday there were some more details about the gathering (page 3 of
the local part of the paper), today nothing, but I am sure there will be
  more on the day itself.
More details_
-there will be 112 "Weise" (translation?)
-there will be 100, still "secret" questions selected by a polling with
final decision with the organizers (Allianz control...for those of you
who wonder what Allianz is, probably one of the worlds largest insurance
firms...they earn their money by betting that I will live long and me
betting that I will die soon, the odds are on their side)
-for each question there will be 3 minutes to answer (so it will take
300 minutes, 6 hours plus breaks)
-each question is answered by all 112 simultaneously in their
mothertongues (entered into 112 microphones and filmed by 112 cameras)
-the onlookers will hear almost none of this, just a murmur of 112
people speaking simultaneously...
-two people are in the center of the arrangement and read the questions

Apart from being a fairly odd setting with no communication between the
112 or them and the crowd watching the name chosen for the setting
"Runder Tisch" demonstrates, at least for Germans and especially
Berliners the political insensitivity and historical disconnectednes of
this show. "Runder Tisch" was the setting between the Fall of the Wall
and reunification where people of all walks of life gathered and worked
on developing a culture of democratic dialogue and decision making in
the newly emerging Germany.

For the TAZ, a fairly critical paper, unlike the TS which I read
(burgeois), the whole show is a monstrous advertising campaign for
Allianz with a lot of glitz and technology...

Greetings from Berlin
mmp