Virgin OSer needs reassurance!

kerry napuk k at napuk.demon.co.uk
Tue Sep 5 04:01:56 PDT 2006

Dear Joanna and Jasmine

I feel the hardest task of a facilitator is to let go and give up any
notion of control.  After all, it is the participants' event, not
yours.  They own the process and the outcomes.  You are just there to
show them how it works.

So, advice about trusting the process is spot on.  But, more
important, trust yourself!  As Harrison says, if you have a good
heart and know about the process, it will be fine.

Brian Bainbridge gave me comfort at one OSonOS by saying that he
always forgot to mention something during the introduction but the
process always worked.  So, don't worry about that either.

People have an innate desire to engage with each other and society
has created structures and organisations to stop this happening.
Once space is opened, therefore, Harrison advises you to just get out
of the way - human nature will do everything else!

Convergence is another topic with many different views.  We prefer
voting by dots to create priority issues and taking the priorities
with any other issues that emerge into action planning.  The more
time you have, the more time for planning and creation of action
teams.

Good luck and let the OSLIST know how you get on.

Kind regards

Kerry
Open Futures
Edinburgh