[Fwd: Re: an interesting meeting in Berlin]

Michael M Pannwitz mmpanne at boscop.de
Mon Sep 4 01:12:37 PDT 2006

Dear list,
yesterday, I did send the note below to ho who had not discovered the
link and entered my esteemed opinion on this project.
Its in the local Berlin paper again today with a long report on how they
are creating two setups, one indoor for rain and one outdoor for sunny
weather...its quite a huge table coated with a very fancy and expensive
material that can also be written on...they have already approached the
Guinness Book of World Records for the largest round table ever...and I
wouldnt be surprised if they cut it up in pieces and auction it off as
they did with other local objects like the Berlin Wall....and, of
course, there is going to be a video where you can see all of them
simultaneously answering questions...

To me this is a good example for the paradigm "Experts solve Problems"
(Taylor, Scientific management)which dominated the art between 1900 and
1950, followed by a phase of "Everybody solves Problems" (Group Problem
Solving, Lewin etc.) which in recent years, under the influence of
Systems Thinking, has been changing since 1965 into "Experts improve
whole systems" and, more recently, with the development of approaches
such as Open Space, Future Search, etc., into "Everybody improves whole
systems".
I dont think that an approach long shown to be useless for the
challenges we are facing now improves through technology that makes it
available instantaneously, worldwide...
Still, its a fascinating show that definitely is marketed in an
effective mode...
So, for me its back to practicing Open Space Technology!
Greetings from Berlin
mmp