Virgin OSer needs reassurance!

John Engle john at johnengle.net
Mon Sep 4 16:15:23 PDT 2006

hi joanna.

you're sure to get lots of encouragement from this
list.

it will go fine.

it could be that some don't get it. but, some will and
they'll get the ball rolling.

one thing i usually share in the opening of group work
goes something like this:

"I ask that we see silence as a friend during our time
together whether we're in small groups or in this
large group. if silence comes, let's not feel like we
need to chase it away, remembering that frequently,
it's the nudgings of silence that bring into being
ideas and voices which would've otherwise remained
unspoken."

once you share something like this, you and others
might be able to rest at ease if silence happens,
waiting for what it might bring. sometimes silence and
pause doesn't happen. but if it does, it's nice when
all can welcome it.

look forward to hearing how it goes.

john

http://circlesofchange.com participatory learning & leadership