Proximity and Open Space after presentations

Chris Corrigan chris at chriscorrigan.com
Sat Oct 28 23:33:14 PDT 2006

I have been doing these kinds of events for years, sometimes offering what
Zelle and Maureen offer as "keynote facilitation."  It works well if we have
a good plenary speaker and if there is an easy transition from the speaker
to open space.  If the speaker is cool with what and how their speech is
being offered it is a great way to stimulate discussion.  If not, then it
tends to fall flat.  Remember: passion and responsibility.  In a conference
setting, the passion comes from the inspiration of the keynote plus people's
individual questions and the responsibility rests with each person to take
advantage of the Open Space to further their learning.  When space is opened
fully for this "fantastic results" can often follow.  Much depends on the
design and clarity of purpose for all the components.  Help your sponsoirs
to see the big picture and make sure the keynotes and the participants are
clued in to how and why this will work and things will be fine.

Cheers,

Chris

--
CHRIS CORRIGAN