More OS with 3rd graders

ICA Taiwan icataiw at ms69.hinet.net
Wed Oct 18 04:26:52 PDT 2006

Dear Yoav,

Kids are wonderful when honestly invited to self organize and fully
participate in open space programs.  In my experience, when the theme
is something they really feel is important, they get up lots of
topics, have both deep and fun conversations, write and post their
reports in no time at all.  Sessions tend to be much shorter than
with older people, but no less serious.  It's helpful to remember
that kids are acutely sensitive to what's going on around them.  If
the theme's language is not theirs, or the presence of
teachers/administrators/parents gives any hint of what they "should"
be  doing and saying, that's what you'll get - or nothing.  In one
elementary school we were able to also do events and small group
gatherings with teachers, parents and administrators from both this
school and the junior high where there kids would be going and a few
community people.  Made everyone feel more at home with OST.

Gail

--
Gail West, ICA
3F, No. 12, Lane 5, Tien Mou West Road