opening space with despise

Claudia Haack claudia at kairosalliance.com
Mon Oct 16 11:26:12 PDT 2006

Filiz,

Thanks for posing this question.  I'm already looking forward to seeing what
other's have to say about it.  Here are my thoughts.

You asked:

Is it possible for a facilitator to carry certain position and emotions on a
certain issue and still open space on that issue?

I've thought about this often, since I decided it would be important for me
to know the answer, just in case I would be asked.  However, I haven't been
in the position, so I don't have an actual example and unfortunately, my
"what if" thinking hasn't lead me to a very clear answer either.

What I have determined for myself is that there are at least three aspects
to this.  First a determination as to what exactly I despise/which specific
values of that particular group I don't share.  Second, what the
invitation/purpose of the Open Space would be and how that fits with my
values.  And three, how the answers to those questions limit my ability to
stay grounded to truly hold the space.

For example, if the National Association for the Re-Introduction of Slavery
were to ask for my services,  I know that I would NOT be grounded,
non-judgmental, open enough to do it for that kind of an organization.  Not
that I couldn't "do the opening",  I just couldn't be open.  In fairness to
them and me, I would have to say no.

Then again, there are situations where my personal belief in the power of
Open Space, to truly open space i.e. open room for new perspectives, a sort
of radical re-alignment of the perception of what is reality, would ground
me enough to be able to do it.   I know that in thinking about the specific
circumstances my intuition about what to do would come through.  So to
answer this question, I think it's a personal exploration.

Is it ethical?

Ethical in what way?  Is it ethical to "hire yourself out" to an
organization whose mission you don't approve of yet you might actually help
to achieve better?  Well, I wouldn't do it, but then again one could argue
that OS can be pretty magical and some folks just might discover that their
mission needs to be more enlightened.

Is it ethical to take their money even though you think they do "bad
things"?  Again, I wouldn't do it but - see above.  However, if I did, my
bias would be to stay on the "more disclosure is better" side of things to
make sure they know what I do think.

Best - Claudia

Claudia Haack

KAIROS Alliance, Inc.