AW: Taking Care of Yourself

Catherine Pfaehler c.pfaehler at bluewin.ch
Mon Oct 16 08:09:00 PDT 2006

Harrison, very interesting that you mention this and bring it in a second
time. This is exactly my biggest learning from my first big OS. It so
happened that I didn't sleep more than 5 hrs per night during the event,
which lasted from Thursday afternoon (preparation group) through Friday
afternoon (arrival of the participants) to Sunday afternoon. And I had to
pay for it on Sunday - my presence fort he process was not anymore what it
could have been, the thank you round did not happen the way it should have
happened.

Luckily, I get a second chance with the same sponsor, and we all learned
tremendously from the first experience (other things, too...). This coming
Thursday, same place, similar team, OS on "Living with HIV - no problem
these days!?". This time, I will
- take good care of my sleeping hours (e.g., listen to the Jazz concert, but
not dance afterwards, but go to sleep)
- see to it that I eat enough
- have 2 - 3 assistants helping me with the community room
- have a translator beside me
- have the luxury of a personal coach to help me take good care of myself
and keep my roles clear, in addition to reflecting the process and next
steps with me.

In addition, the sponsor is doing everything he can to keep me out of the
office. He has made clear several times that my task is the process and
nothing else (we do have a big team of assistants in all necessary areas!).
He has even appointed himself the boss and coordinator of the event to
ensure I can be fully present for the process. I think this is what he wants
me to be, nothing more and nothing less. (Of course, he is also very
sensitive to being controlled - which matches my need to know everything is
okay for everybody perfectly... - but nevertheless, his insisting I focus on
the process and on being present is impressive and quite a gift for me!)

Cross your fingers form e - I believe I am getting a little nervous, at
last... :) Catherine

Catherine Pfaehler Senn
Open Space Begleitung & Coaching
Kellersriedweg 8