opening space with very small groups

Communications Esther Matte ematte at excellence.ca
Wed Oct 11 05:06:27 PDT 2006

Good morning to you all!

Well, I DID IT!!!! My first OST, and with a very small group of 5 people.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with me a couple of weeks
ago. I went there last night  with confidence in your advice, my heart, the
group and the process. And it worked wonders!

There were only 5 participants. Three people chose not to come, one of
which was a surprise for the sponsor. So I started off by saying that the
people who were there were the ones who were truly passionate about the
theme, and they were the ones we needed.

I did the usual opening in about 10-12 minutes, skipping most of the
reassuring parts. They posted 11 subjects, combined three, so there were 8
discussions in 3 rounds of 45 minutes each.

I followed your suggestions and expressed clearly the two choices they had:
discuss everything as a group, which was very tempting of course, or follow
the method. Then I suggested they give it a try at least for the first
round of discussion, and one participant supported this suggestion. I added
that they might find that discussing as a group would make it very
difficult if not impossible to go through the 8 subjects in 2 hours and
maybe using the Law and playing bumble bees would allow them to discuss
everything and go deeper. Much like what happened to Diane, they gave it a
try and never looked back. Of course, it's less natural with a small group,
but it works really well anyway.

The next step will be action planning. They were all surprised at what they
had accomplished, felt revigorated and inspired and now have a clearer
picture of their situation and what they might want to do next.

As for me, it was a thrill. I felt OST was perfectly in sync with my self,
and was both excited and scared of doing my first event with such a small
group. I re-read Harrison's book during the weekend, read all of the advice
received from you yesterday morning, meditated a bit before going there,
centered my self and stayed focused to be fully present and invisible (this
week's discussion about presence was inspiring) and let go of any
expectations and fear to simply go with the flow of the moment.

I still feel the energy from the event this morning, and I know in my heart
I found a path on which I'll travel for a while and bring people to
discover. Thank you all for your support!

Esther