What 2084 could be like if more attention was paid to making it happen (longish)

Alan Stewart alanmstewart at gmail.com
Mon Oct 2 17:25:35 PDT 2006

Dear All

Looking for a 'hope-full big picture' in which OST and the World Cafe, among other group process technologies, will likely play a major role?

One in which you may feel inspired to engage - as it could fit with your own vision and purposes - is called the Great Transition Initiative - Visions and Pathways for a Hopeful Future. The head of the group undertaking this work is Paul Raskin. http://www.gtinitiative.org/

A few days ago I sent an em about this to a few people on my mailing list. *

Lovely responses to this prompt me to distribute the 'picture' more widely.

For example, a great friend, David Isaacs noted .

Alan

this is wonderful stuff... hat's off to you, alan, in
uncovering it...

who is Paul Raskin?   and Ned Iceton?

yes, processes like the World Cafe and OS  " did help to make 2084 happen "

what a ride it was!!

sending well being from me and Juanita

Who is Paul Raskin? An answer can be found in a separate posting to follow shortly about a press release issued two days ago. I have had no personal contact with Paul's group. It was Ned Iceton who alerted me to their Great Project. (I <smile> when adding this emphasis for reasons that you will no doubt discern ...)

And who is Ned Iceton?  In my knowing Ned is a gentle yet very fervent activist with a particular passion for social development in Australia. I have been on his mailing list for perhaps a decade or so and had the great privilege of meeting him in Adelaide a few years ago. Ned alerts people to things that matter to the wellbeing of humanity and ecosystems.

---------------------------------------
Social Developers' Network (SDN)
& Nurturing Evolutionary Development (N.E.D.) Foundation
C/ Ned Iceton       E-mail: sdn at ned.org.au
 "The art of progress is to preserve order amid change, and
to preserve change amid order." - Alfred North Whitehead.
Denial of voluntary euthanasia is abuse of the elderly!
Australia is meant to be a secular state!
Globalise goodwill, not greed; cooperation, not coercion.  Use your vote
to take back political control from the 'big end': Adopt the Simultaneous Policy! - <www.simpol.org>
SDN Website: <http://ned.org.au/sdn> NED-Net Website:http://ned.org.au
-------------------------------------

I wonder how this resonates with you?

Go well

With love

Alan
Hong Kong

* This is what I had posted to Elisabet Sahtouris, Paul Raskin, Ned Iceton and others:

Sent: Saturday, September 30, 2006 8:56 AM
Subject: Re: What 2084 could be like if more attention was paid to making it happen

Dear Elisabet and All

Hello from Hong Kong.

We met at an enchanting gathering of Cafe people at Nancy Margulies' home in Nov 2001.

Since then I have followed your work periodically, as may have my friends included here.

And was delighted to see the recent piece on your conversation with Tijn Touber, published in Ode Magazine and posted by Tom Atlee.  http://www.odemagazine.com/article.php?aID=4329

Which has prompted me to send this to you, an exquisitely imagined articulation of who we as a more mature species would be in 2084.

I wonder if you have seen this? If not I have great pleasure in introducing you to it <smile> (I am distributing it quite widely).

AN 'HISTORICAL' VIEW FROM 2084 (ASSUMING HUMANITY IS STILL EXTANT) by Paul Raskin *

Paul, your most inspiring composition was passed on to me recently by Ned Iceton in Armidale, Australia.

http://www.gtinitiative.org/documents/ReviewDrafts/GTTodayReviewDraft.pdf

This is a 16-page 'historical' view from the vantage point of the year 2084, of a possible future for humanity if current global man-made disasters are avoided.

What a wondrous gift through which to set our sights .

As you Elisabet would be aware, group processes such as the World Cafe and Open Space Technology could be instrumental in enabling us to co-evolve such a future.

For with the starting premise: 'We are here to treat each other well' they are tailor made to harness collaboration, imagination, goodwill, energy and collective wisdom ... key underpinnings of the 'self organised'  actions required to co-create a livable future for our humanity and the ecosystems of which we are an integral part.

And to help redress what President Bill Clinton noted recently: That the world's biggest problem today is the

illusion that our differences matter more than our common humanity.

I see that my misssion is to join that of growing numbers of others to bring to the notice of as many constituencies - including young people - as possible that these conversational processes exist. Just how useful they could be for diverse purposes could emerge through posing an 'umbrella' question such as:

.  Do we as a species have the humility, capacity for cultural invention based on dissolving boundaries and beliefs in our deficits/limitations, and desire to co-operate in the manner required to bring about the way of being and doing outlined so inspiringly in Paul Raskin and colleagues' vision?

And coming to know the answer from addressing this other question:

. What happens when we turn to face each other and ask 'What do you think?'

Which is ... MAGIC. Always.

Go well

With love

Alan

Alan Stewart, PhD

Professional Conversationalist
Principal, MultiMind Solutions
Now based in Hong Kong and operating throughout Asia-Pacific

Tel +852 9438 7680
www.multimindsolutions.com (under construction)
alanmstewart at gmail.com

* Entitled 'The Great Transition: A Report from the Future' it is in a current draft form as of June, 2006.

This is a postscript to a more comprehensive paper published in 2002 which is available at: www.tellus.org

Lead author Paul Raskin operates from the GTI Coordinating Unit

Tellus Institute

11 Arlington Street

Boston, MA 02116-3411, USA

Tel: +1 (617) 266 5400