About Themes for Open Space

Gerard Muller gm at openspace.dk
Mon Oct 2 08:00:53 PDT 2006

Hello Diane,

Sometimes the theme is blindingly obvious (a), an sometimes everyone
seems to know what it is about but no-one can express it clearly (b),
or in the case the client is not an organisation but a system, the
challenge is to formulate the theme in such a way that everyone you
want
to come, feels like coming (c)

An example of the first was a software firm: "How do we improve our
development process for version 2.0 from what we've learnt developing
version 1.0 ?"
An example of the second: - a hospital: "Two years from now we will
close: how do we at the same time keep offering the services our
citizens expect while
developing our employees and ensuring they all have another job once we
close ?"
An example of the third was one where the issue was to do something
about failures with medicines in hospitals.This does not really seem to
be a well known
issue, and certainly not one high on the agenda for many of the
relevant stakeholders. However quality of care is. Inviting sufficient
hospital pharamicists
ensures the original issue gets sufficient attention.

If the issue is not blindingly obvious I develop it with a preparation
group typically going through a process somewhat like the following:
- I invite each to note down any issues/questions/themes they can think
of regarding the as yet undefined theme down, one on a card (or
post-it);
- I ask them to read them out loud;
- I have all cards put on the table;
- I ask the group to organise the cards so those that are clearly
linked are together; typically some clusters appear (without talking;
just by moving the cards);
- I ask to give each grouping a title.

Often at this point, the issue has become clear and people start
suggestion what the central issue could be.
Depending on where the first steps brought us, sometimes I ask "If we
could only talk about one of these groupings on the meeting, which
would you choose?",
or "Do you see a story in these topics ?".

I find that in most cases that gets you to the heart of the matter, but
not necessarily to the right formulation.
Probably finding the right words is a bit like the title of an article
or book - you sometimes don't find it until the rest of the work is
done.
So often I agree that the person producing the invitation can get
suggestions for better formulations until a deadline.

Essential elements of a theme I would say is that the theme:
- creates a sharp focus;
- which those who are invited recognise as the right one, and an
important one for them;
- inspires;
- is action focused.

In a next mail I will list some theme's I have had so far.

Many greetings,

Gerard Muller
Open Space Institute Denmark
Phone: (+45) 21269621				Skype: openspace1
Mail: gm at openspace.dk