structural adjustments to bridge cognitive gaps(was "My first time")

Mark R. Jones mark.r.jones at sunyata.ws
Tue Nov 21 11:55:16 PST 2006

Hi Raffi (et al).

Regarding Form & Ritual . . .
My practice is to meet people ‹ individually and collectively
‹ wherever they are.  So whatever the level of consciousness
of the people, organization, or culture ‹ my job is to make
the connection so that they feel heard, seen, and loved by
me.  This means that in preparation for an event or meeting,
I try to study the ³language², symbols, and artifacts of the
people, organization, or culture ‹ so that I can experience
sympathy, empathy, and compassion for them.  Thus, I
increase my capacity to communicate with, understand, and
connect with them.

My basic philosophy is simple instruction and simple form.

My only and  ³basic instruction² to the DoD participants was
to fully take responsibility for what had heart and meaning to
them; and know that they were each responsible for the quality
of their participation, and the quality of their individual and
collective experience.

If the physical space was set-up as a ³circle² then I walked
the circle.  If it was not set-up as a circle, then I just stood
in ³Presence² as if I was walking the circle.  In either case,
I would make sustained eye contact with each participant.

For ringing the Silence in and out ‹ if I had a bell handy,
I would use it.  If not, I might use a crystal glass, or even
clap my hands or snap my fingers.

Regarding Presence . . .
I always request explicit permission from the participants
to begin their engagement in the actual process, and for
me to participate with them on the learning journey.

At one level, this means that I invite the naming of concerns
with the process, and individual and collective expectations.
Thus the people begin to feel ³heard², and usually name and
establish the individual and collective ³success criteria² for
the event or meeting.

On another level, I ³hold time and space² and track the
meta-level dynamics and energy flows of the gathering ‹
intervening through inquiry when the basic instruction
is being forgotten.

And when asked or required, I directly participate in the
explorations and deliberations of the gathering ‹ with the
caveat that my primary duty is to hold time and space for
the ³Whole².

So if I am invited to participate as an ³embedded² participant
in the gathering, then I stay in the room(s).

If I am ³facilitating² the gathering, then I leave the room(s)
and scan for meta-level dynamics and energy flows.

That is how things worked with the DoD.

Regarding Check-In and Commitments . . .
The simplest ³look² was the inquiry around what people concisely
needed to ³be aware of² ‹ both individually and collectively ‹
during the gathering.

For ³Check-In², people typically would start-in by perceived order
of urgency, and would speak in pop-corn order until finished.
Sometimes, the impulse of the group was to explicitly go around
the ³circle² order.  Whatever people seemed called to is how I did it.
No preference.  No talking stick (authority object).  The insights that
were shared were documented in the minutes or report of the gathering.

³Commitments² would be spoken of as individual and/or collective
³I wills², and were recorded as ³Action Items² of the meeting or gathering.
At the DoD, there was a cultural agreement that these commitments were
³binding².

I hope this helps !

Mark R. Jones
Chief Executive Officer