Bad experiences - was Proximity and Open Space after presentations

Andrew Ballance andrew_ballance at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 19 08:38:11 PST 2006

I'd like to reinforce this message. If I might, here is my example, part of my story.

Earlier this year I had experience of something informed by Open Space. There was a change programme in a company I was working with that brought its practitioners together one afternoon, for 'something.' It was a while ago and my memory is hazy now. Nonetheless, what was clear to me then was that an important principle, to self-organise, was being presented to us. I felt that something was missing, that we hadn't been given enough control, and indeed later learnt that they had taken elements of Open Space, but not the entire essence or philosophy of it. They had tried to control, had remained attached to outcomes.
Nevertheless, they brought together a community that had not been assembled theretofore, we had good conversations that triggered new ideas and fresh approaches amongst some of us.

There was even one consultant in the room ready to begin a new phase of his career, who recognised the importance of the underlying principle and followed it up: A little over a week ago I finished training with Boscop in Germany. That was my first true experience of Open Space. I am sure I am not alone when I say that this experience has made me see the world in very different ways.

For the organisational system, this set in motion a chain of events whereby I joined the change programme and helped them to advise other business units on the desired change process. Through these conversations, the sponsors of the change process were made more aware of different ways to facilitate and support change, of the other newer paradigms for Organisational Development. Whilst many people that have worked at or with this organisation over the past few years have described it as stagnant, here we see possibly the beginnings of a reinvigorated system.

All this from something only informed by Open Space... :-)