My first time

Mark R. Jones mark.r.jones at sunyata.ws
Sun Nov 12 08:38:50 PST 2006

Hi Justin.

Congratulations !

I agree with the other comments that the gap between
expectations for the meeting process, and the actual
meeting process (OST) ‹ was too large for your folks
to co-integrate emotionally and cognitively.

In the past, I worked as a senior executive consultant
to the U.S. Department of Defense (DoD).  Having
recognized the ³gap² in my corporate work, I provided
a cognitive bridge in how I presented OST structure.

I issued formal invitations that satisfied what people
mostly expected to see.  But I used OST as the internal
process that executed the²Agenda².

TITLE               (Title of participating group OR ³Subject²)
DATE               (Planned date for the meeting)
TIME                (Planned starting and ending times for the meeting)
LOCATION        (Planned location for the meeting)
INVITEES         (Names and contact information of participants)
PURPOSE         (OST ³Calling Question²  tagline text )

AGENDA            *  Welcoming Statement
                        *  Opening Remarks ‹ OST ³Invitation² (context) text
                        *  Roll Call of Voting Members
                        *  Summary Reports by Members (OST ³Check-in²)
                        *  Issue Topics | Questions (OST ³Create the
Agenda²)
                        *  Dialogue & Deliberation (OST ³Market²)
                              ‹ In small groups and in the Whole
                        *  Determinations (OST ³Convergence² in the Whole)
                        *  Learning Review (OST ³Closing Circle² in the
Whole)
                              ‹ ³Reflection² in the Whole
                              ‹ ³Commitments² in the Whole
                              ‹ ³Process Check² in the Whole

This approach seemed to satisfy the cultural needs and forms.
And yet it was a solid implementation of Open Space Technology.

Mark R. Jones
Chief Executive Officer
The Sunyata Group
The Integral Wellness Group