SV: Proximity and Open Space after presentations

Zelle Nelson zelle at knowplacelikehome.com
Thu Nov 9 22:17:45 PST 2006

Hi Thomas!

We've designed Action Rounds in OS several ways...

a) We use the 15 min after the closing circle model when facilitating
Open Space after a keynote speaker for a couple of reasons:

a) When the group coming to hear a speech is not a formal
organization there is less need to come back again after 15 min of
action rounds with the entire group for a second closing circle.

b) In this design the energy and responsibility for action is
directly linked to those who are drawn to the action topic. They may
not ever see the other people who attended the speech. And the energy
is then taken out into the world rather than back into the "non-
organization" that gathered for the speech in the first place.

c) Time - there is often little enough time after the keynote in the
first place, so bringing everyone back together again, is one less
thing to do.

2) We've done up to 3 - 15 min action rounds after 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 day
OS when more has been talked about. We use this model when working
with community organizations or non-profit groups that have
organizations with loose/volunteer connections or continuations.
Often in these situations the action rounds form around persons
outside of the paid staff who will concentrate on one particular
aspect of the organization's purpose because it speaks to their
particular passion. These volunteers may have deep ties to the
organization, and some do. We return to a final closing circle to
bring the energy of action back into the organization and create a
shared commitment going forward. We've used this method with some
corporate groups as well.

3) We've done action rounds where anyone can name an issue to be
taken forward, the group votes on the 5, or 7, or 10 most popular,
then these most popular are written on flip charts (or we sometimes
use free standing (pinpoint) boards), champions are determined from
the group, and then the whole group is invited to visit any and all
of the issues and write their own suggestions onto the flip chart (I
think Toke described this process). After this whole process there is
time for clarification. We then get back together for a closing
circle to support the entire group or organization to commit to and
support the top issues. Sometimes we ask each person to name specific
actions they will personally take away from the meeting.

All these versions have worked in the different situations. I'm sure
everyone has their own modifications on the action round. For Maureen
and I the method used depends on what the group needs.

with grace and love,

Zelle

Zelle Nelson
Know Place Like Home/Engaging the Soul at Work/State of Grace Document

www.knowplacelikehome.com
www.engagingthesoulatwork.com
www.stateofgracedocument.com

zelle at knowplacelikehome.com