Floor topics

Ralph Copleman rcopleman at comcast.net
Mon Nov 20 05:55:29 PST 2006

On 11/20/06 2:00 AM, "OSLIST automatic digest system"
<LISTSERV at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU> wrote:

> BTW, every time I've opened space, someone has complained about having to
> get down on the floor to write their topic.  Have other people experienced
> this?  How do you respond?
>
> Jennifer Hurley

Jennifer and all,

There are many aging knees and bad backs out there.

And some folks feel self-conscious just being in the center of a circle.

I always ask sponsors ahead of time about the group.  What¹s the age range?
Are there people assisted by wheelchairs?  Older, less spry people want a
table in the center of the room.  Several weeks ago, in a group containing
50% in wheelchairs, I used a medium-sized round table.  There was no
question on that day that this was what they needed.

Generally, though, I like to let people solve their own problems.  Many pick
up paper and a marker, walk back to their chair and write their poster
sitting right where they started.  Some folks use other people¹s backs.
Everybody figures out something.  If someone actually comes to me with this
complaint, I tell them all of this and why I do it this way.  With a smile.
My job is to open the space, hold it, and help close it.  I serve the
mission of the day.  Individual anxieties are a whole other story.

Ralph Copleman