open space and synchronicity

Phelim McDermott phelim at mac.com
Mon May 29 01:48:19 PDT 2006

I think Jung said that a synchronicity was a coupling between two
seemingly unlikely events which was felt by the person experiencing
them to have meaning, so within this debate it is the sense of
meaning which is important to me and on a certain level the lack of
meaning which others experience.. "it's just a coincidence" seem to
weirdly make it more meaningful for me. Further..  the attempt to
quantify it from a newtonian causal perspective.. ie "How unlikely
was it? How meaningful is it to you? is to miss the point because
from that perspective you are analysing from a dualistic worldview.
If you believe it isn't weird or Spooky.. you are of course right.
For me the experience is a window into a different worldview which
perhaps I/we don't  often get the chance to experience (Except in
Open space? Or impro?) Maybe the less experience we have had of the
non dualistic world the more meaningful it seems and the more
experience we have had of the connected world the more everyday or
normal?

It reminds me of my experience as a child when I had a poltergeist in
my house which threw things around, played tricks, made objects pass
through walls and demonstrated things which were outside of
"Newtonian science." It was at first important for me to convince
others my experience was real.. Then I realised it was my reality and
it was not important what others thought and to believe in my
experience and test its reality for myself.  I was encouraged to not
talk too loudly about it by my parents...  So of course years later I
made a show out of it "70 Hill Lane" which took me all round the
world and won an award Off Broadway and helped create our theatre
company Improbable. Up until then my world was split because I just
hadn't been talking about it loudly enough!

Meanwhile time for a quote from Ramsey Dukes:

"Is it  the strength of scientific beliefs that give them their power
to unify our experience. Is science the safest way of all? ..the
ability to bend metal is not a "higher power" so much as an atavistic
failure to maintain metal as solid as we need it to be"

love and

here's a link to details of the show  http://www.improbable.co.uk/
show_example.asp?item_id=3