juicy convening questions

Chris Weaver chris at springbranch.us
Fri May 26 22:09:53 PDT 2006

Hey Christine,

I'm a week late on the draw in responding to your inquiry, but perhaps it's
still relevant.

You wrote that the sponsor has the familiar concern that people who don't
work together or are not part of an intact group can often come up with
fabulous ideas that peter out quickly or never go anywhere at all.

In my experience, the sponsor's concern is well-founded.  I've participated
in (and facilitated) a number of  community OST events in which the
participants don't have prior connections.  In my observation it is often
the case that most people go back to their lives & business as usual and
don't follow up/follow through on many of the collaborative ideas that
emerge in the OST event.

I believe that the sponsor and planning team can take some steps to maximize
the opportunity for ongoing impact from the event.  These include:
  a.. Taking the time as a planning team to connect with their individual
purpose  in opening space for the event, and sharing this with one another
so that a deeper group purpose emerges.
  b.. Including in the OST event a solid action-planning component, in which
the space is re-opened for specific new initiatives, and participants are
invited to step into leadership for these new initiatives (I use the title
"champions" for these emergent leaders).
  c.. Posting the action planning "Initiative Reports" to the web asap, and
providing options for initiative groups to collaborate online (this is
especially important when the participants do not have regular established
contact with one another).
  d.. Committing to opening space for a follow-up OST event a few weeks or
months down the road (the same theme usually works great).  When
participants know at the first event that there's going to be another one,
this generates a field of positive accountability.  Participants feel a
stronger motivation to move the work forward so that they can share it with
the community at the next OST.
A commmitted ongoing sponsoring team can also take other steps, such as
sending out simple email "newsletters" to the participant list (this works
great when any participant is invited to submit a story about their ongoing
work to be included in the newsletter).

All of these steps are frequently part of the supporting infrastructure for
highly successful OST work within a single organization, because the
communication networks are already in place.  With a community event, the
extra time and effort to create this infrastructure makes a big difference
in the outcomes.  Working with a planning or sponsoring team in this way is
an act of inviting them into deeper more conscious leadership.

Chris

Chris Weaver
Springbranch, Inc.
Asheville, North Carolina USA