juicy convening questions

Chris Corrigan chris at chriscorrigan.com
Sun May 21 17:54:02 PDT 2006

Hi there Christine:

To my mind, it needs a bit more passion to come to a convening question.  If
I was working with the sponsoring group I might convene a smaller meeting of
a few key community people and ask something like "What could this group of
people offer to our community that isn't being offered?"  In other words,
with a precious opportunity in front of you, what is the highest good we
could do together?  That might even be the question for the OST, but a
little deeper invitation development and support will go a long way to
attracting a crowd big enough and motivated enough to catalyze action.

Cheers,

Chris

On 5/20/06, Zelle Nelson <zelle at knowplacelikehome.com> wrote:

> Hi Christine,
> Out of an short (3 hour) OS following a speech given by presidential
> hopeful Col. Robert Bowman in the summer of 2004, the Kindness Campaign -
> www.thekindnesscampaign.org was created and has been sustained to the
> present in Asheville, NC. I don't have the actual invitation - Gayatri
> Erlandson (Lee) created the actual invitation, but I will include a summary
> of topics created from this OS if that helps.
>
> Gayatri - do you still have the invitation?
>
> Sounds like a great project!
> oslist at listserv.boisestate.edu:
>

> with grace and love,
>
> Zelle
>
> Zelle Nelson
> Engaging the Soul at Work/State of Grace Document/Know Place Like Home
>
> www.stateofgracedocument.com
>
> zelle at knowplacelikehome.com
>
> work/home: 828.693.0802
> mobile: 847.951.7030
>
> Isle of Skye
> 2021 Greenville Hwy
> Flat Rock, NC 28731
> USA
>

> On May 20, 2006, at 6:48 PM, Christine Whitney Sanchez wrote:
>
> Hi Dear OS Friends,
>
> I'm in conversation with a potential sponsor for a large 1.5 day OS event
> next October, the purpose of which is to connect people for self-organized
> community action (non-specific at this point).  The crowd is expected to be
> folks who live and work in a metro area and who may have a tenuous
> connection through one of several sponsoring organizations - but who have
> not had such a large scale experience with other members of their community.
>
> The planning team is meeting in a week or so where the sponsor will pitch
> the idea.  She's pretty convinced that OST is the way to go but has the
> familiar concern that people who don't work together or are not part of an
> intact group can often come up with fabulous ideas that peter out quickly or
> never go anywhere at all.
>
> Among other things, I would like to offer the planning team a collection
> of especially generative convening questions from similar events
> that resulted in new action groups forming and concrete contributions to a
> community.  Any links to similar OS events would also be very helpful.
>
> I'll compile the responses and feed them back by the end of next week.
> Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> Warmly from sunny, sweaty Phoenix,
>
>  *Christine*
> **