Spanish and Portuguese OS principles needed

Artur Silva arturfsilva at yahoo.com
Sat May 6 07:06:42 PDT 2006

  Hello Diane and Lisa:

  Sorry for being late, but I have been out of town.

  Considering the Portuguese translation there are currently three versions:

  - My "official" translation of the principles in Portuguese of Portugal (I will send this to you, Lisa, in some days);

  - My adaptation of the principles (in Portuguese of Portugal), that is slightly different in two of them, as I have some philosophical problems with the wording of those two (this has already been discussed in the list, and I will not bother you with that again - at least by now);

  - And what can be called the "official" translation in Brazilian Portuguese. And I am calling this "official" in the sense that it is included in the translation to Portuguese (Brazil) of the "OST User's Guide". In Brazil, the book (that Harrison has been so kind to send me, and I have commented in a post to the list some years ago) has the title "Coffee Break Produtivo" (???), and was published by W11 Editores, São Paulo, 2003.

  Maybe you can suggest to your customer, Diane, that they buy the book, that can be found here http://w11.doutromundo.com/site/acervo_detalhe.php?id_livro=10 .

  So, the official translation in the Brazilian flavour of Portuguese is as follows:

  The four principles (Os quatro princípios):

  - Quem vier é a pessoa certa
  - O que quer que aconteça é a única coisa que poderia ter acontecido
  - A hora a que começar é a hora certa
  - Quando acabar, acaba.

  The law of two feet (Lei dos dois pés):

  - "Se durante o andamento de qualquer reunião, qualquer pessoa encontrar-se em uma situação na qual não esteja nem aprendendo, nem contribuindo, deve usar os seus dois pés e ir para algum lugar mais produtivo"

  (I suggest that you never use this translation of the Law in Portugal, neither the translation of the book, btw (*) ;-)

  Other translations that can be useful:

  "Esteja preparado para ser surprendido" (Be prepared...)

  and:

  Market Place - Mercado (the book translates as "Mercado de aldeia" - "Village market place")

  NewsRoom - Sala de Notícias (only if it is a separated room; if it is a section of the room I would use "Cantinho das Notícias")

  Breaking News -  "Notícias Recentes"

  Regards

  Artur

    (*) "Coffee break produtivo" means nothing in Portuguese. I assume it is a pseudo-translation of "Productive Coffee Break". But "Coffee break" is not Portuguese - not even in Brazil - and should be translated as "Intervalo para Café". And, by the way, they have marvellous "café" in Brazil - so please take one for me, Diane.

  ------------

Lisa Heft <lisaheft at openingspace.net> wrote:
                Hi, Dianne –

  You’ll find them at:

  http://www.openingspace.net/glossary.php?all

  The Portuguese translations are thanks to the fabulous Artur Ferreira da Silva, our colleague from Portugal.  Brazilian Portuguese may be a bit different (a regional variation of some words) but this should be perfectly understandable.  If after your work with the client you find they have recommended other translations to be more specifically Brazilian, do let me know and I will add those translations to my website.

  The Spanish translations are from our equally fabulous Jaime Pedrero of Peru and Bolivia.

  Jaime’s recent email to the list indicated that he currently uses for the 4 principles:

   Quienquiera que venga es la persona indicada
   A la hora que empieza es el momento más conveniente
   Lo que suceda es lo mejor que puede ocurrir y lo único que cuenta
   Cuando termina, quiere decir que se acabó

which is a bit different from those translations you’ll see in the glossary at this time (his earlier thoughts).  Jaime, when I get a chance I shall update according to your and Juan Luis’ current thoughts.

  For all my OSLIST colleagues - the international glossary of Open Space terms and phrases can be found through the direct link (above) or by going to my website http://www.openingspace.net and clicking on “Open Space Technology / The Method” and you’ll see an orange bar that says Index, The Method, Learning Workshops and Glossary.

  If any of my dear readers here speak and use another language that you do not see in the glossary, and if you wish to help us all out by adding that language to this glossary, do contact me directly and I will send you a list of the words and phrases to translate – and we will all benefit by being able to share more of these resources via this co-created tool.

  Dianne – have the best time with your client and that Open Space – drink a caipirinha for me

  Lisa

  L i s a   H e f t
  Consultant, Facilitator, Educator
  O p e n i n g  S p a c e