Open Space with 3rd graders in 1 hour

ashley cooper mail.easilyamazed at gmail.com
Tue May 2 08:45:24 PDT 2006

Hello all,

One of the hats that I wear is that I am a school counselor in the primary
division of a private school for gifted children. The school goes through
8th grade, but I only work with children from preschool through third grade.
This is my first year at this school.

As the third graders are beginning to think about their transition into the
upper division, I am also thinking about the fact that I won't be their
counselor anymore. This third grade class is fairly socially scattered and
not so tightly connected. I've gotten quite close with many of them.

I have decided to give them a sort of rite of passage gift. The teachers
have given me a 1-1/2 hour block to offer them an inspiring performance
about following your passion (from a local performing artist) and then for
me to host an open space. The intent of this open space is for them to have
an opportunity to deepen connections with one another, expanding their sense
of being 'a class', and look forward and reflect upon the first phase of
their school life and what is important for them in this next phase.

So my questions:
1. Could you offer me some questions that would help me (and the teachers)
focus the theme?
2. Do you have any thoughts on structuring the open space? I am thinking
that we will have about an hour and 5 minutes total (I could maybe get more
time). Should I just do 1 break out session and a longer reflection circle
or 2 20-minute breakouts and a smaller reflection?

Thank you so much for any thoughts you have to share.

with gratitude,
Ashley

---
www.easilyamazed.com/blog