Open Space with 3rd graders in 1 hour

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Tue May 2 13:03:44 PDT 2006

Hi, dear Ashley -

Ashley wrote of doing a 'mini' Open Space with third-graders.

You are the best person for this !  Those young people and their teachers
are lucky to have you.

As a theme, how about

'What are the gifts I bring to the world'  or

'What do I want to learn and share with you?' or

'What things do we do that really make a difference in our family / our
neighborhood / our school / our world?' or if you really need it to be
school-based,

'What things have I learned in school that help me help others?', or.

I am giving you theme ideas when your question was actually 'could you offer
me some questions that would help me (and the teachers) focus the theme?'

So let me reply to that specifically, too.  When I work with
clients/sponsors on the theme, I ask what the intent of this meeting is for.

(and you've explained that: 'for them to have an opportunity to deepen
connections with one another, expanding their sense of being 'a class', and
look forward and reflect upon the first phase of their school life and what
is important for them in this next phase.')

.and I would ask them what they imagine a young person might ideally come
out of this feeling / knowing / being able to do.

Then we just start playing ideas back and forth - for example I'd say the
deepening of connections and expanding a sense of being a class will be
delivered by the Open Space process.  The looking forward and reflecting on
the first phase of their school life - I'd ask the teachers what these third
graders might say if you asked them to reflect on their first 3 years of
school - what would they remember?  I'd guess favorite teachers, special
field trips, an activity or art project they really enjoyed, being tutored
by the older kids, some great friendships formed, and things like that.
(that's what little Lisa Heft enjoyed, anyway.!).

If you and the teachers really resonate with the kinds of answers you think
might come of that, that will give you some sense if you are close to
finding your theme.

Asking the young people to think about what is important for them in the
next phase of school.what do you and the teachers think they would answer?

Going to the big kids' building, learning a language, sitting in a certain
place for assembly, tutoring the little kids.I'd suspect they might say what
they observe (mostly visually) about the bigger kids.

Do the answers you and the teachers think of get you excited as you imagine
those possible discussions?

I'd also ask the teachers if this might not be an opportunity to make things
a bit broader than the first 3 and next few years in school.  Maybe an
opportunity to ask how the young people feel they have grown? What they want
to be and do?  What they want to be and do for their world?  Or Harrison's
invitation to imagine the future, which is not school-specific.

I don't know where that conversation would go with the teachers but you get
my idea - I'd keep delving into what you could ask and what you imagine
folks might bring forth as topics and there will be a point at which you
really get excited.and that may be very close to your theme question.

I also vote for 2  20-minute sessions.  And if there is any challenge for
readers, I think John's/Michael's approach to having people make their topic
signs and walk out to the different discussion areas (tree, flower, fish,
chicken, frog, sun, moon) -- rather than posting them on an agenda wall --
keeps things visual-graphic-kinesthetic - you could do two rounds of
circle-announce-walk to groups, if it's all oral, as it can be hard for the
mind to remember more than one round of such things.  Just an idea.

We will all be there in spirit, Ms. Ashley,

Lisa

L i s a   H e f t

Consultant, Facilitator, Educator

O p e n i n g  S p a c e