Introduction in an OS-meeting

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Wed Mar 29 17:25:51 PST 2006

I often think that the word "introduction" is the wrong one. "Induction"
would do better. There really is not a lot of information to be shared. How
much can you say about sitting in a circle, creating a bulletin board,
opening a market place -- and going to work? And the point is to GET TO
WORK. Any and all verbiage that inhibits that should be dispensed with --
all under the heading of thinking of one more thing not to do. I think.

When I do the opening, I find that I can communicate the essentials is 3-5
minutes. All the rest of the time is about creating the environment
(induction). Hence I talk just long enough to bring the folks to the point
where they are straining at the traces (reins for horses) -- just salivating
about getting to the task. The art is to talk long enough so they are really
eager -- but not so long as to become boring and tedious.

Good luck Thomas -- and my very best to your participants!

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive
Potomac, Maryland   20854
Phone 301-365-2093
Skype hhowen
Personal website www.ho-image.com
OSLIST: To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the
archives Visit: www.listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html