Opening Space for Rabbis and Imams

avner avnerh at zahav.net.il
Sun Mar 19 14:34:24 PST 2006

Cheryl wrote: this appears to be an  initiative for men only. where are the
female rabbis and their voices? i was  wondering if anyone could help me
understand...

Well Cheryl, in Islam and Orthodox Judaism, women ae not serving as Rabbis
or Imams. In Judaism, you can find women serving as Rabbis only in the
Reform movement, which are in deep controversy with the Orthodox. As the
Orthodox, by far, are the most prominant movement in Israel and are leading
this main stream in the world, allthough it is an international conference,
it was important to the issue to bring them. So, the other movements are
invited, but in a very low key. It is a delicate,complex and painfull issue.
Anyhow there are other women there, in other roles

Avner Haramati
Jerusalem